FJR Owners Forum banner

The Pelican Brief

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  doron102 
#1 ·
I wanted put the T-bags roll bag that I have been using my FJR back on my custom 07 Suzuki 1250S which I borrowed it from, but I wasn't sure what I was going to replace it with.

So after seeing OldButNotDead's FJR with a Pelican case on top of a rack plate he made for his 2014, I purchased a Pelican IM2200 Storm case that I mounted to my custom rack plate that is attached to my Givi SR357 rack, as It fit the bill as something that would be functional, fairly cheap and a little different looking, and I like the look of it on the bike.

The external dimensions of the case are 16.2" x 12.7" x 6.6", and the internal dimensions are 15" x 10.5" x 6"

It has the same cubic inch area as the roll bag, but more usable and easier to access space than the roll bag, and it should work well as a short trip, everyday top box. I removed the handle and mounted the box with the latches facing forward, so that when I get off the bike I don't have to walk around to the back of the bike to open it

I got it for $83.50 from Adorama with free shipping and no tax which cheapest price I found for it, and it'd a few bucks cheaper than a new roll bag from T-Bags, and it can be locked with a couple of small padlocks. So I'm picking up small Master padlocks for it this week

There are several larger sizes of Pelican Storm cases that aren't much more than this one, so I might purchase a larger one and set them both up so they can be unbolted and changed out fairly quickly by bolting threaded aluminum plates to the top of the rack plate to accept the 4 mounting bolts, instead of using bolts and nuts to attach it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks.

Another reason I went with this Pelican case is that I can now pickup killer burrito's and taco's from a great Mexican restaurant in town which I could not do with either my roll bag or saddle bags. This happens to be carnitas burrito, and yes it's as large as it looks and muy delicioso!

#4 ·
I did a similar thing, but since I already had the SW Motech steel rack I bought a kit from caribou cases make them quick release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks Dan, and the burritos are killer from the Mexican market in downtown Yerington NV, as is all of the other stuff they make, including the their awesome carnitas tacos, with a squirt of lime and the excellent red or green sauce on top, which I'm going to get at least 4 of latter today.

#7 · (Edited)
You can see in the pictures the shallow recess that Pelican molded into the lid of the case for basically just a product info sticker, which no one would want to leave on regardless of what you were doing with the case, and I don't understand why Pelican didn't just stuck the sticker on the lid instead.

So I figured anything would look better than the recess did. So I cut and machined a piece of textured aluminum sheet I have to fit into the recess which I powder coated semi gloss black, and the recess is very shallow, so even a piece of .062 thick aluminum like a used sticks up past the top a little bit. I then attached it along with one of the tuning fork tank emblems I just removed to the lid with some special very high bond thin double sided 3M tape.

#9 ·
I was going to buy a couple of small padlocks for locking up the Pelican case using the padlock in each front corner of the case, but I did not want to have to deal with padlocks.

So I found a keyed cam lock with just the right length straight cam which I ordered from McMaster Carr for $7.58. I opened up the existing hole on the lower portion of the case that the auto pressure purge valve used and opened it up to ¾" dia for the lock barrel.

I then designed up and machined a dog plate for the lock barrel to engage the two flats on the lock barrel that keep it from rotating, then I fitted the dog plate in between the two plastic gussets on the case to it from rotating.

After figuring out the distance from the center of the barrel to the cam latch post, I drilled a ¼" hole in the cam latch and bolted the lock up in the bottom half of the case and used the hole in the cam latch for drilling the hole on the lid for the latch pin post.

I then took the cam latch back off and machined the slot for the cam latch post into it. The cam latch post is a ¼-20 S/S carriage bolt that I put a nice spun finish on using my lathe.

The cam latch works perfect and when locked there is no movement in the lid and the lock holds the lid firmly closed, and it's nice now having built in lock to secure the contents of the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.