Rear Gear Oil Types?

FJR Owners - The independent, international website for Yamaha FJR1300 and FJ enthusiasts: FJR Technical Chat: :Service / Error codes:: Rear Gear Oil Types?
By Falconer on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:02 am:  View Falconer's Profile Search for other posts by Falconer Edit this post

I notice yamaha recommeds SAE 80 Hypoid GL4 gear oil for the final drive on the FJR, and it happens that I have some GL5 in my garage left over from my BMW K1200RS. Does anyone have information as to what the differences are between a GL4 and a GL5 oil? 

By Marshman on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:51 am:  View Marshman's Profile Search for other posts by Marshman Edit this post

To be honest Falconer, its the one bit of the bike where I wouldn't use anything other than Yamaha recommended stuff in it (at least until after any warranty expires). Its a gearbox with only 200cc of oil in it, and it has to cope with the all 140 horses that the engine is putting out. The bevel gears put massive shear loadings on the oil, and if you feel the housing after a decent run it is baking hot as well (but that could be the rear wheel spacer about to fail.....) 

By Roachman on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 07:51 pm:  View Roachman's Profile Search for other posts by Roachman Edit this post

The Yamalube rear end oil is GL5 rated as well.(label says GL4,GL5)
I'm using Mobil 1 gear oil, which is GL5.

Good enough for the Space Shuttle, good enough for my FJR 

By Bagman on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 08:09 pm:  View Bagman's Profile Search for other posts by Bagman Edit this post

I thought that the shuttle ran on seven up ? 

By Falconer on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 10:39 pm:  View Falconer's Profile Search for other posts by Falconer Edit this post

I kinda doubt that running GL5 instead of GL4 would screw anything up. I was interested more in knowing what the different designations mean. I presume the GL5 is a later spec, probably different additive package, kind of like the SG, SH, SJ engine oil designations. I've run the GL5 spec in 2 other bikes - a 2000 Vulcan and 2000 K1200RS and it's what was called for. I was trying to find some info on the web explaining the differences, but there seems to be little tech info out there on gear oils. 

By Hawgman on Monday, August 05, 2002 - 11:35 pm:  View Hawgman's Profile Search for other posts by Hawgman Edit this post

The American Petroleum Institute has a good web site on the various designations and what they mean. Look at their web site www.api.org and then search for gear oil. The actual site is http://api-ec.api.org/filelibrary/glchart.pdg.

The Yamaha bottle also says it's good for GL4-or 5. 

By Fz1fjr1300 on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 05:13 am:  View Fz1fjr1300's Profile Search for other posts by Fz1fjr1300 Edit this post

Use Redline gear lube or Amsoil. Synthetic much better than dino oil. 

By Falconer on Tuesday, August 06, 2002 - 10:38 am:  View Falconer's Profile Search for other posts by Falconer Edit this post

Hawgman,
Thanks for locating that. I tried the API web site but neglected to search those keywords. Oh, the link has a typo, it should be:
http://api-ec.api.org/filelibrary/glchart.pdf

It sounds like the main difference between the GL4 & GL5 designaton is that the GL4 is intended for either spiral bevel gears or hypoid, whereas the GL5 is primarily for hypoid gears. So does this imply that Yamaha is using a spiral bevel gear in the rear end? 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation