Front axle nut tool? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

FJR Owners Website » FJR Technical Chat » Front axle nut tool? « Previous Next »

narley
Waiter ...errr I ordered it!!
Username: narley

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

After struggling to undo my front axle nut with all sorts of improvised 19mm nuts welded to bolts etc etc, I finally gave up and borrowed a wicked 3 way hex tool from my local bike shop. I was so impressed with it I asked him where he got it and he didn't know.
Maybe someone out there knows?

It is simply a 14mm hex at one end, 17mm at the other and 19mm in the middle. Just put whatever size you want in and use the appropriate socket/spanner on the other.
All told it's about 50mm / 2" long and I WANT ONE!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
barnz
Username: barnz

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

The standard 5/8" spark plug socket wrench available in the U.S. works well in this application. On the outside of the socket is a hex fitting of 3/4" or 19mm. You can insert the socket backwards into the axle. Then, you can insert a short extension bar backwards through the interior of the socket. Finally, connect your ratchet, breaker bar, or torque wrench to the extension bar.
troutman
Farkle Trainee
Username: troutman

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

MotionPro Socket
silverbear
Username: silverbear

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

narley

I purchased mine at CycleGear http://www.cyclegear.com. The tool's name is MOTRAX AXLE WRENCH, and sells for $14.99 US. It has a 19, 22, and 24 mm diameters, and is good for Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki sports bikes.

Good luck!

Silverbear
jupiterfjr
Farkle Trainee
Username: jupiterfjr

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

the secret to get getting the front axle loose is IMPACT!...use an air impact gun [1/2 inch] fitted with a 19 mm or 3/4 inch socket. .use this combo on a long lug nut with the mushroom end cut off.[hacksaw] the chrome ones from jap cars with aluminum mag wheels are just the right size [19--3/4] and length to properly fit in the axle end and the socket; at the same time.
marshman
Trainee Pilot - Pro Farkler
Username: marshman

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Narley,
Go down your local quality tool shop and buy a 1/2" drive hexagon bit. Looks just like a regular socket, but with a bit of an allen key poking out of the business end.

Lovely Facom tools

All the decent tool companies make them. Cost you a fiver or so each, and you dont need to be fiddling with stacks of different sized spanners. Get one each for the front and rear, and getting the axles out and torqueing them up afterwards is a doddle.
narley

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the long wheel nut sounds a very simple solution as does the hexagon bit. The Motrax adapter is exactly the type I was looking for but is a larger size.
liquidsilver
FJR Top Gun
Username: liquidsilver

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I'll post this again...

Several Yamaha's later, this tool has proven itself over and over again.

McMaster Carr

Click here and put this number - " 5571A79 " - in the 'Find' box

10.61 at McMaster-Carr, and I got it the next day. Perfect for torque wrenching, or you can remove the 19mm hex key from the 1/2 socket with a small hex lock and use any 19mm wrench or socket on Yamaha front axles. Expensive, yeah, but I use it a lot and it'll last forever. ( or until I lose it. )

hondacbx6
Farkler
Username: hondacbx6

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

A standard sparg plug socket has a 19mm end. Pull the rubber plug out and turn it around. Insert a socket extention and you have a great tool for you wheel removal.

Spark plug socket and 3" extention.

Extention inserted backwards.

Business end. 19mm.

Torque wrench/socket end.

And everyone has these tools already! Total cost $0.00!

david1300
Username: david1300

Post Number: 885
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Or just invite a few friends around with their rattle guns:
rattle guns
narley

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, July 10, 2004 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Hondacbx6 that is a brilliant idea, but if it fails, your screwed, whereas david1300, if your idea fails....
Well you get the idea
gallarn
Farkle Trainee
Username: gallarn

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Thanks David, this is the best advice I have seen on the site so far.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: