Doeas anyone have an airhawk seat pad ? Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

FJR Owners Website » The Old Threads Graveyard: » General FJR Chat » Doeas anyone have an airhawk seat pad ? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through July 29, 2004gm130020 07-29-04  10:18 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

davidb
I ordered it!!
Username: davidb

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

The AirHawk and Under-Armor were the 2 best investments to let me ride for extended times. My FJR can still boil gasoline, but not my butt anymore.
amain
Trainee Pilot - Pro Farkler
Username: amain

Post Number: 487
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

It is still a modification to your stock seat instead of a replacement for it. If they work so well, why don't they make it into a custom seat and avoid that Whoopee Cushion look? The added seat height is an issue with several riders.
grmrpr
Username: grmrpr

Post Number: 307
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Do these Air Hawks get bouncy at all????

fjr_vfr
Farkle Trainee
Username: fjr_vfr

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

The airhawk has an advantage over a custom seat, if you own and ride more than one bike. Also when you sell your bike the airhawk stays home for the next bike. I first got the mid size cruiser pad, but found it wrapped up in front and back due to the shape of my seat, (corbin, close). I brought it back for the smaller pad, which fits better. I don't think anything is perfect. On long rides I find it helps, but shorter rides it is more of a bother.
fastersilverfjr
FJR Top Gun
Username: fastersilverfjr

Post Number: 530
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I may have talked my sister into getting one for her V-Star. She was looking into a gel pad. I will give it a try, since she will get the small cruiser one that also fits the FJR.
gr8eyes
FJR Top Gun
Username: gr8eyes

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I just did back to back 900+ mile days on the stock seat and was wishing for anything. I sat on hondacbx's air hawk seat and it did seem real comfortable. It takes a few seconds for your shape to mold to the air hawk but if you were in the twisties I'm not sure how secure you would feel flicking the bike around. On long trips tho it would be great. Having said all that I do have a custom seat on order.

Glenn
stretch
Farkle Trainee
Username: stretch

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I have just done a 3 day 1400klm trip using the Airhawk. Yes u do sit up higher and when it came to twisty mountain passes I took it off, you do not feel comfortable in hanging off the bike. That said, for long haul days it sure saves your arse.
kfjrw
I ordered it!!
Username: kfjrw

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I used the BunSaver (think thats the name) on the Great Lakes 100 (2400 miles/78 hrs). Cost $10 bucks and I loved it. My buddy had the Airhawk and loved it, just paid alot more. I suspect his is a bit nicer but I doubt its that much nicer. Only problem for some is that it only comes in camo, I like it. Maybe I am just blinded by the cost savings. Anyway for $10 bucks its worth a try. No Airhawk in my future.
bobvail
I ordered it!!
Username: bobvail

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Glenn,

Got back from WFO Tuesday. Used the poor man's Airhawk (BunSaver) and it worked well for my butter butt. Has the thermarest type air cells which can be inflated/deflated with the twist of the cap. Ain't real pretty, but works for me. Thought of attaching black sheepskin for even more comfort.

Nice to see you again in Moscow. Sorry about the good driving citation. I passed a pickup truck on 12 on the way to WFO and my Passport went nuts. Almost like instant on radar. Oh Sh*t! Since I have class A CDL, last thing I need is a ticket. Didn't know whether to slow down or speed up. He didn't turn around, so I was home free.
gr8eyes
FJR Top Gun
Username: gr8eyes

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Nice to see you again Bob and glad you got lucky with the Patrol.

Glenn
dahawks
Username: dahawks

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Where did you guys buy the bunsaver?
fastersilverfjr
FJR Top Gun

Post Number: 562
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

My sister got the small cruiser airhawk for her V-star. I used it for about 80 miles of primarily highway riding last Friday. Made me sit up too much, but did alleviate the pressure points produced by the horrible stock seat. However, I dont think it improved the ride enough for the money and I would prefer just getting a custom seat. I played with the adjustment nozzle quite a bit too. My money is on a bunsaver until I get a custom seat. I hear Sargent is coming out with something that combines the Corbin and the Russell.
fastersilverfjr
FJR Top Gun

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

By the way, pick up the bunsaver at your neighborhood Wal-Mart. Have someone do a quick stitch with black fabric to cover that camo.
fastersilverfjr
FJR Top Gun

Post Number: 564
Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I think wearing under-armor or some type of athletic wicking and stretchy underwear in place of cotton is also the key.

Also, if anyone out there is wearing Levis you probably have comfort issues that only changing to riding denim pants such as ICON Barrier or some mesh pants will fix. Riding this bike wearing regular denim pants is like wearing wet sandpaper.

dahawks
Username: dahawks

Post Number: 379
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 02:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Found the bunsaver at walmart for under $10. It is black on the bottom and realtree camo on top.
It looks like you could dye it black. I am going to us a sheep skin over it anyway.
skooter
I ordered it!!
Username: skooter

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I bought the Airhawk for the trip to WFO-3. I had never done that kind of long distance trip before. This was also prior to the bunsaver info coming out, otherwise I may have tried that option first. I bought the Airhawk cause I am presently too poor for a custom seat.

All I can say is that for me, the Airhawk worked great - beyond expectations. Before, on the stock FJR seat, which I think is good, I would start to get a little pain in the arse between 300-400 miles, depending on various factors such as heat.

Heading up to WFO, I did 1700 miles in 36 hours. I had zero butt pain. I'll repeat that - no butt pain whatsoever. I am a believer. On the return trip, 922 miles in 16 hours, no butt pain whatsoever.

YMMV, but it worked great for me. Well worth the high cost, especially compared to the $$$ for a custom seat.

Greg
grmrpr

Post Number: 328
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Well, I tried a borrowed air hawk this past weekend, and didn't like it. With moderate breaking I slid up to the gas tank, and when I tried to change positions on the seat I had the same pressure points on my boney butt, so no relief there. I pulled it off after about 300 miles. Need a "Day-Long".
fastfeejer
Farkle Trainee
Username: fastfeejer

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

That sounds like an Airhawk fully inflated !

Just put enough air in it to get you just a little up off the seat, probably about 20-30% inflated and it will be just fine. Propewrly inflated, it feels like there is hardly any air in it at all.

If you fully inflate it, you will be riding on a balloon, not get the proper effect, and have sore buns to boot.
pluric
Farkle Trainee
Username: pluric

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I just returned from Canada. The AirHawk came in the day before I left. I'm a believer! Had two over 700 mile days. I'm not saying my butt wasn't tired and sore, but not near as bad as it used to be. I agree with Fastfeejer, air pressure setting makes a difference. I kinda like it in corners. You just did a gentle roll to one side or the other. I didn't notice any weird braking shifting. Had to run the windscreen a little higher because you do sit in the saddle a bit higher. It worked for me. I bought it after reading others comments on this thread, thanks for the advice. I used two mini bungee cords on the front loops of the AirHawk cover and hooked them on the black plastic just above the frame, worked perfect, it didn't move around at all. I may try the bar risers to make up for the lift. I had a set but liked the stock setting so I've never tried them.
canes
I ordered it!!
Username: canes

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

I went with this and it works great!

http://www.buttbuffer.com/default.asp

grmrpr

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

@ fastfeejer - sounds like I had the Airhawk over inflated, though I did let some of the air out at one point.
hondacbx6
Farkler
Username: hondacbx6

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Air hawk and Under Armor here. 4,300 in a week to and from WFO-3. Well worth the money in my opinion. I can move it bike to bike. I had the Under Armor shorts, but bought the full length top and bottoms while in Moscow. It was very warm and although the First gear MeshTech jacket and pants let air through it did not absorb any sweat. The Armor absorbs the sweat and allows it to evaporate. The MeshTech gear was much more comfortable and cooler wearing the full length Under Armor. In the morning when it is cool out it makes you warmer given the extra layer and when you start to get warm it helps keep you cooler! I won`t be leaving home without it! I really like the AirHawk also.

I wore the Under Armor shorts on the plane trip down here to Chihuahua, MX. It was comfortable sititng in these damned cramped seats!

PS I am still stuck here. They are making me stay another week! I MISS MY BIKE! We are going to the Yamaha dealer tomorrow for some tire kicking. The people down here have to pay 40% tax on new bikes! I am working with a guy who just bought a new yellow CBR600RR. He had to pay the equivilent of $10,500 U.S. for it!!!!!!! That is steep!
bobvail
I ordered it!!
Username: bobvail

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP

Hondacbx6,

What an ingrate! Most people pay the big bucks for an opportunity to visit Old Mehico! Kidding of course.

I've used all sorts of gear for heat relief. I saw the Under Armour stuff at a local Galyans. Pricey, but interesting. I'm wondering which gear you bought. Assuming it was the hot weather variety, were the long pants and shirt the ones the fit tight or the loose fitting ones?

I have some CoolStuff phase change long underwear that works pretty well, but fits tight in the legs and just feels weird. This stuff needs to be handled with care when washing (no bleach, etc.) or the phase change properties will be reduced or eliminated. Anyone one interested in that gear can see it at Helmet Harbor on the internet. It is also pretty expensive, but sure beats blue jeans and cotton Ts. Downside is if you take off your riding pants/jacket and walk around, you might get arrested for walking around in Long Johns. Never tried that myself.

I was using a new 1st Gear Kili Air jackt and HT Air overpants at WFO3. Amazing how you can stand around with this stuff on and not pass out in the 90 degree heat.

I also have 3 CoolMax polyester T's that I wear. They are great also. Unlike the CoolStuff they are passive, but do a great job of wicking sweat. You can wash them im a bucket or sink and hang them up to quick dry, since they are 100% polyester.

I tried just about every combination on the trip. Although jeans helped keep the engine heat off my legs, bare skin was actually better and the CoolStuff was the best. I'm thinking, leave the cotton Ts at home during the summer, except maybe to attend WFO banquets, etc

p.s. I was the one who was dragging a trailer behind my bike. Had it in the lot at Best Western on Friday night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.